Being obsessed with food like I am, it may not come as much of a surprise to learn that I can get slightly addicted to watercress. I have even been known to sit eating bags of the stuff as if it was crisps, Difference being that watercress is doing wonders within my body and crisps are doing goodness knows what. So what is so special about this fantastic food? Watercress is said to have;-
- 15 essential vitamins and minerals
- Gram for gram more calcium than milk
- Gram for gram more vitamin C than an orange
- Gram for gram more iron than spinach
But this is not all, for humble watercress has been wowing folk for
years. Take Napolean who was a massive fan and good old Hippocrates, (who loved his medicine) who decided to locate his hospital right next to a stream whereby fresh watercress could be obtained within an instant
Many studies have been conducted in the USA, as well as the University of Ulster and Southampton and their findings have been quite awesome to say the least. What aggravates me, is that we hardly hear of such amazing advances in the findings of natural components. We just hear of the drugs which have been developed by pharmaceutical companies and the startling thing is, is that watercress has been around since biblical times!
- So what are these interesting findings?
- It is a stimulant for digestion
- High levels of beta carotene, which the body converts to Vitamin A which helps the immune system as well as assists the body with vision, growth, skin, nails, hair, teeth and bones.
- Watercress helps neutralise a cancer causing chemical found in the blood of smokers.
- A real cancer fighter, especially for breast, prostrate and lung cancers.
- Daily consumption significantly decreases the lymphocyte DNA damage (white blood cells)
- Packed full of antioxidants and phytochemical
It is so easy to get it into your diet, just make a tasty watercress soup or swap lettuce for watercress in your salads and sandwiches.